It is best to make changes to your schedule before a course begins; however, we do understand that you may need to make changes throughout the semester.
Please note that once enrolled in courses, you are responsible for all enrollment changes, tuition payments and other charges on your ubill.
The University of Iowa does not drop students from a course(s) or withdrawal a student for nonpayment or nonattendance.
The Office of the Registrar provides support for on-campus course adds, drops and withdrawals. You will find instructions for registration changes for your on-campus courses here: Office of the Registrar, Change of Registration Information
For assistance with registration changes for your online courses; please see below, call 319-335-2852 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Fall/Spring: You can add or drop semester-length courses on MyUI for the first five days of the fall and spring semesters. On the sixth day of the semester you will need permission to make changes to semester-length courses. For off-cycle courses, you can add or drop courses up to the first day of the class. On the first day of the class you will need permission to make changes to off-cycle courses.
Summer/Winter: You can add or drop your courses on MyUI up to the first day of the class for summer and winter sessions. On the first day of the class you will need permission to make changes to your course(s).
Registration change instructions when MyUI is closed for student-initiated changes:
- Dropping courses when permission is required
You may drop courses in MyUI after you have obtained required permissions. To drop online:
- Initiate the request in MyUI by pressing the drop link next to the course you wish to drop.
- Make note of the permission(s) required to drop the course and proceed with obtaining permissions.
- Once all required permissions have been entered into your student record you can finalize the drop in MyUI.
- You will also receive an email and MyUI message letting you know that you can finalize the drop.
- Adding courses when permission is required
You may add courses in MyUI after you have obtained required permissions. To add online:
1. Initiate the request in MyUI by pressing Initiate Add Request
2. Review permissions required and press Continue
3. Review acknowledgements (deadlines and warnings)
4. Press I agree to obtain required permissions
5. Once steps are completed press Go back to Dashboard
6. Contact each permission needed
7. After the last permission is authorized, you will receive an email and MyUI message letting you know that you have 24 hours to complete the add
Only one set of messages will be sent at the beginning of the 24-hour time period.
8. Press Complete Add in MyUI, review warning, press Continue, press Add
9. You will then see a message that states you have successfully added the course
You are able to cancel the add at any step in the process or remove the pending add if you no longer want to add the course
Required permissions to add: Advisor and instructor permission. Tippie College of Business students are not required to obtain freshman year.
The Course Deadline Look-Up provides course specific deadlines. After the last day to add without dean's approval, students must also obtain appropriate dean's signature.
- Undergraduates: Degree- and nondegree-seeking students need dean of college that the course is offered in.
- Graduates: Degree- and nondegree-seeking students need dean of Graduate College.
- Professional: Need dean of college student is enrolled in.
Contact your Dean's Office for assistance.
Courses ending in 0001, 0300, or other number combination, are managed by the UI Service Center. Please refer to Office of the Registrar, Changes in Registration - MyUI or email@example.com for assistance.
*Professional MBA Students - DO NOT use this process. Contact your program coordinator for any changes in registration you need to make. Additional registration information for MBA students can be found HERE.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or 319.335.2852.
Semester/session has ended - If change is for a semester/session that has ended, please begin the process at your Collegiate Dean’s office.
Termination of enrollment in all courses for a semester, even if only one course, constitutes a withdrawal of your registration for the session indicated. Withdrawal from an entire session is noted on the transcript. Students in good standing who withdraw from an entire session receive no credit, but are not assessed any academic penalty.
Withdrawals are completed online, through MyUI. Please pay close attention to each step of this process to successfully complete your withdrawal.
- Navigate to your course schedule in MyUI. Begin by clicking the Withdraw Entire Registration link at the bottom of your course schedule.
- You will be informed of the permissions needed. Permissions might include: your academic advisor, Collegiate Dean's Office, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), or Athletics.
- You will then be asked to fill out a Withdrawal Information Form. You will fill out a few required fields and some optional items.
- You will then see that you have a pending withdrawal and there may be a list of additional permissions needed. Once you have been granted all permissions you can complete the withdrawal process. You will receive a MyUI message and an email once all permissions have been obtained.
- Return to your course schedule to Complete Withdrawal.
It is your responsibility to understand the financial and academic consequences of dropping or adding a course. Please consult the following: